Re: ClamAV madness

On 11/22/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:20:49AM -0600, Jon 780 wrote:
> Just a small gripe, unless I'm missing something.
> "yum info clamav" states
> "...The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded
> daemon, a command
> line scanner, and a tool for automatic updating via Internet. ..."
> But, it doesn't contain clamd.  That's separated out into the
> clamav-server package.

I dunno if that'd be properly described as "madness" -- maybe "a little bit
unclear". The word "package" in that description is referring to the ClamAV
program as a whole (the "software package"), not to the specific RPM
pacakge.

"Unclear" I think is a little forgiving.  I'd be willing to settle on
"confusingly ambigious", whadda ya say?

That's more clear if you notice that it's lifted verbatim from
<http://www.clamav.net/abstract.html#pagestart>. RPM packagers often do
this, so that the upstream people get to describe their own package in their
own words, and because it's easier than writing your own description.

Makes perfect sense.  Until you think about it. :)

File this in bugzilla and mark it as trivial and it'll get fixed eventually.

Oh goody, that'll be resolved sometime after the next Ice Age :)

Like I said, just a small gripe, not even worth wasting my time or
their's in filing a Bugzilla.