Re: parallel DNS lookups

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 08:59 -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> If I understand the standard DNS resolver, it sends out DNS queries
> sequentially to the servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf, after timeouts
> occur.
>
> Is there a way to make the resolver query all the listed servers in
> parallel, and use the first response?
>
> Right now, things slow down to a crawl if the main dns server is down...
> I'd rather waste some bandwidth in exchange for better reliability.

Have you considered running more than one local DNS server?

On my system, each PC runs a DNS server, for itself, but it's also
queriable by all the other PCs on the LAN.  None of them rely on an
ISP's DNS servers to resolve addresses.

In answer to the obvious objection to that, I don't think that my
systems present significantly more external load due to less caching
from a common server.  Caching only works if the same queries are being
made.  And my LAN doesn't make a great deal of external queries.

Previously I did just run one central DNS server, and I haven't noticed
any slow downs when I switched over to each box running its own server
(i.e. them not having an answer in a cache, already).  I have noticed
less problems, though, when boxes get moved around:  They're not
dependent on one thing that mightn't be available, at some time.

I read messages from the public lists.