Re: Metrics and your privacy

AragonX wrote:
<quote who="Andy Green">
AragonX wrote:

Why not ask at the end of the install of Fedora if it can 'phone home'
give statistical information?  I think if you put in a questionare that
If there is a gratuitous connection action for statistic-collecting
purposes, it would be best to ask.  But then you lose some information
from the people who for whatever reason said no.

I did say ask.  You have to ask and there is no way at all to get a 100%
count.  It is not possible.

Yes I was actually agreeing with you.

  1. Machines that never update at all even once

Making a new machine check for updates at least once as soon as it saw
the network was up would be a friendly and non-privacy threatening
action that would solve this...

Ill conceived idea.  There are a good number of reasons why I don't want
some of my machines to get updated.  It would be annoying to have to write
some rules to block this traffic.  Forced updates...

Well, fine if it asks "There have probably been security and bugfix updates for some packages, can I run yum to get them from Fedora mirrors?", you will probably get a LOT of people (who if you ask them would tell you that touching that server over http will log their IP) saying 'yes'.

-Andy