Re: Metrics and your privacy

On 11/22/06, James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
> It would be cool to generate a GUID per machine and attach it to yum
> download URLs, eg, http://mirror.org/blah/thing.rpm?GUID=123-123-123..
> so it is ignored by the server but is present in the logs. But the logs
> are still useful without it.

I'm not sure how this would play with European data-privacy laws,
especially in cases where one can tie an IP address to an individual.

One option here, mentioned in the Metrics page, is to use a public
proxy server for the initial phone home.  Obviously we wouldn't want
to do a yum through the proxy server but some low-cost phone home
(like retrieving the mirror list) would be valuable.

             -Mike