Re: Spamassassin / spamd

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 15:11, J.L. Coenders wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I am trying to use spamassassin as a spamfilter with kmail. I have found
> some information that it is possible to run spamassassin as a daemon
> with spamd. Does anyone know a good source of information where I can
> read up on configuration of spamassassin for client use and running
> spamd to speed up the process?
>
>I have trained spamassassin using the default configuration with about
> 1700 mails, but still it does not seem to work wel.
>
>Thanks on beforehand.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jeroen

Because kmail locks its user interface up so tightly when fetching mail,
and the effect is severely enhanced when using spamassassin, I have
offloaded those jobs to fetchmail, which in turn uses procmail for the
MDA, and procmail pipes it through spamd before depositing it in the
users /var/mail/$USER mailbox.  So kmails job is reduced to pulling it
from that file every 2 minutes or so and sorting it according to your
filter rules, and generally remains much more responsive to the user.

None of this should be done as root even if you run as root.  Fortunately,
all this has the 'run as user' option in their launching syntax.  The
expert on setting that up is Jdow if she has the time to help.  She was
very nice and helped me a lot when I did it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)