Re: Today's FC6 Update fails -

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 15:13 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Tony Nelson wrote:
At 12:35 PM -0500 11/19/06, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Can someone translate the following error message into plain English?

       (23/23): kdebase-3.5.5-0. 100% |=========================|  29
       MB    03:26
       warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
       ID ff6382fa

       GPG key retrieval failed: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno 2] No such
       file or directory: '/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/kde-redhat.RPM-GPG-KEY'

Is it telling me I have a missing gpg key or that the file isn't there?
It looks to me like everything it needs is in
/etc/yum.repos.d/kde-redhat.repo which I assume is where the kdebase
file is coming from?  I'm probably wrong ...

But what do I need to fix?  Where can I find the key if that's what's
needed?  Updates normally happen without a hitch!
It looks like you are using the kde-redhat repo but don't have their key
installed.  Go to kde-redhat.sourceforge.net and follow the instructions.

Alternatively, it may be that the package is not properly signed.  In the
past, the error message was, IIRC, briefer and misleading.
Ok, I might be able to fix this if I knew what the file name was supposed to be?

            /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-kde-redhat

I put the gpg key in that [my best guess at a name] but I still get an error. Not only that but I have never needed to insert keys with a text editor to make yum updates work! I have something messed up somewhere. I've been updating this computer for a
week and suddenly this?

download the file you find here
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65974&package_id=72321&release_id=136335
   named gpg.rexdieter-kde-redhat.key

then you can import it into rpm with the command
    rpm --import <path/to/gpg.rexdieter-kde-redhat.key>

After that yum should work to install files from the kde-redhat project.

   Ok, did that.

   Then I spent the last four or five hours messing with yum updates
   and wringing out problems as best I could.

   I did yum clean all and then was able to update kdebase which was
   producing an error message.

   I then had to yum remove spamassassin and exclude=perl* which
   permitted yum update to do most of what was required to update the
   system.

   Obviously something is broke, I still don't know what, I am still
   working around problems.  I believe the trouble was the result of my
   having killed yumex when it got off on some tangent and virtually
   paralyzed this old computer.  Apparently my impatience resulted in
   corruption of some files.

   I suspect that I will have to remove and re-install yum to restore
   things.  It wants some gpg keys but the error messages are useless
   in determining which key it requires since it never tells what repo
   has failed.

   Yum run from the command line is a neat tool as long as it works.

   Bob Goodwin