Re: FC6: Modem not installed but shows up in Hardware

--- Dietmar Steiner <dietmar.steiner@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to Linux and have a fresh install done of
> FC6.
>
> My modem a Intel 536EP is recognized as a PCI device
> it shows up in
> System->Administration->Hardware, but does not show
> up as a dialup modem.
>  From an earlier post I found out the following
> information:
>
> kudzu -sp
>
> class: MODEM
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> desc: "Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem"
> vendorId: 8086
> deviceId: 1040
> subVendorId: 8086
> subDeviceId: 1000
> pciType: 1
> pcidom:    0
> pcibus:  0
> pcidev:  a
> pcifn:  0
>
> lspci
>
> 00:0a.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation
> 536EP Data Fax Modem
>
> If the modem is not supported is there an RPM
> available, who makes it
> possible for a beginner to install.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dietmar

Ok get the latest package from here.

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/

which is

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.1_21_09_2006.tgz

Download it and extract it with
$ tar -zxvf
intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.1_21_09_2006.tgz
$ cd intel-536EP....

Carefully Read the README files and proceed to install
the modem drivers.  Should you get stuck, send a mail
to me, or discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for more help.

You will need to have Development tools installed in
order to compile.  If you ask questions about your
modem to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, you will be asked to
send the output of scanModem which you are able to
find here

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz
Download scanModem.gz

# gunzip scanModem.gz
# ./scanModem

send ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if needed.

Regards,

Antonio

The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com