Re: FC6 No Audio

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 19:10 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 20 November 2006 10:54, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> > After upgrading to FC6 from FC4 I have no audio.  I have a standard
> > sound blaster live card.  There seems to be no /dev/audio or /dev/sound
> > devices.  Output from alsamixer is:
> >
> > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
> >
> > RealPlayer plays viseo but with no sound.  My KMix Icon has a red "X" on
> > it, I think indicating it is inop.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> Try running system-config-soundcard, checking that it is seeing your card
> correctly.  When it asks if you can hear the sound, say 'yes' even if you
> can't, or the driver will not be installed.  Once the driver is installed,
> look at alsamixer in a terminal, using arrows for navigation and M for
> mute/unmute.  You should be able to find the culprit there.
>
> Several people found themselves in your situation, including me, and the above
> worked for most of us.
>
> Anne
Let me mention something since we all went through this before, on my
machine the following problems still exist:
booting just ignores the lines in the modprobe.conf which relate to the
sound card. No module is mounted. The error message mentioned by the OP
occurs when the soundcard module is not loaded and not configured.
I can load the module rc.local by using a modprobe command but the
result is that the detection of the soundcard must be done after every
boot.

I spent the whole morning trying to deal with this problem and failed
miserably. No boot errors occur related to the sound card so I ma
stumped.

Needless to say there are no entries in /proc/asound/.

Does anyone have a suggestion (maybe arguments to an install modprobe
command) that I could place in rc.local to properly load the sound
module so it will work?

For completeness let me note that sound worked in FC3-FC5.
Your conscience never stops you from doing anything. It just stops you
from enjoying it.