Re: Can't access /home dir after FC5 updates

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 21:06 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Personally I'm quite happy to be using FC2 most of the time, but after updates
> for FC5 I can no longer access my home directory. Double click on it, a
> couple of mouse pointer bounces, and then it craps out. Nothing. Zilch.
>
> Incidentally Konqueror behaves in the same way, but I can open Konsole, And
> Kmail with no problems.
>
> I had this situation last night, then rebooted this FC5 install, and then the
> home directory opened, but today, no such luck.
>
> Apart from this KDE seems to be working ok. I can watch TV on it, Gftp opens
> ok, and the Superuser filemanager works ok. It appears to be a problem with
> accessing the "home" directory, and "konqueror".
>
> There is a ....sycoca command, but can't remember the syntax, or whether it
> will fix this problem. Anyone one give me the full command for KDE? It may
> work or not work, and there are menu items that were there before, and now
> missing. SELinux is not enabled.
>
> Personally I use FC2 on both machines, even though they are no longer
> supported from Fedora Legacy. Apart from them being slow to boot, there are
> no problems. Even FC1 still works ok, but I can't say the same for FC3, and
> FC5.
>
> I'm not trying to start any flames here, but from my personal viewpoint FC is
> getting worse, rather than better.
>
> All I want at the moment is to get access to my home directory on FC5, which
> was accessable before the last lot of updates.
----
I'm gathering that you are using the 'same' home directory for the same
user whether booting from FC-2 or FC-5

That's gonna cause a bunch of issues with:
- KDE
- GNOME
- SELinux

even if you turn SELinux off in FC-5 and reboot, the versions of KDE &
GNOME are much newer in FC-5 than FC-2 and will likely cause a bunch of
problems if you try to use the same settings.

Suggest that you go into home directory and move
mv ~/.gnome ~/.gnome-bak
mv ~/.gconf ~/.gconf-bak
mv ~/.gconfd ~/.gconfd-bak
mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-bak

and see if things don't work better. You probably will want to copy
***some*** of the application settings back in from the the -bak folders
that you created into the new folders created upon login/usage.

Craig