Re: logrotate failure

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 07:36 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Two weeks now since I installed FC6, and still no logrotation is being
> done.
>
> Stepping into /etc/logrotate.d, and doing an sh ./syslog results in this:
>
> [root@coyote logrotate.d]# sh ./syslog
> ./syslog: line 1: /var/log/messages: Permission denied
> ./syslog: line 2: sharedscripts: command not found
> ./syslog: line 3: postrotate: command not found
> ./syslog: line 5: endscript: command not found
> ./syslog: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
> ./syslog: line 6: `}'
----
not that I wish to follow in your footsteps but if it's any consolation,
that occurs when I do that on my system too. But I am not going to spend
any time trying to figure out why.
----

> ls -l /var/log/mesasges:
> -rw------- 1 root root 2154163 Nov 20 07:32 /var/log/messages
>
> I realize this is probably not the way to test this, but this is also one
> of the items in /etc that I did not copy over from my FC2 install.  I had
> made some additions to the list of logs to rotate and as a check, they
> are not there. And as you'll recall, I did not have an /etc/crontab file
> until kcron wrote it.
>
> I've also mounted the FC6 iso, and tried to -F --freshen the package, and
> I've tried to verify it, all without either effecting whats installed or
> fixing this problem.
>
> The 'service crond restart' output is the usual stop, start.
>
> So what would be the proper way to exec this for troubleshooting?  Maybe
> there are other things crond should be doing but isn't.
----
It would seem that the first thing to do would be to 'verify' your
install...

rpm -V logrotate
rpm -V vixie-cron

Craig