Re: kwallet vs kmail, will somebody please shoot one of them?

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 18:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 19 November 2006 15:50, Craig White wrote:

> >> No, it wouldn't be very secure if it was, would it? :-)
> >>
> >> You're confusing me, Gene.  Are you doing everything from a root
> >> login, rather than as Gene with su when necessary?
> >
> >----
> >yes, he is running GUI login and applications, etc. as root - despite
> >admonitions.
> >
> >and he suggests that this works for him, except of course, when it
> >doesn't work for him.
> >
> Absolutely correct.  I've just changed the firewall lashup though, see my
> reply to Anne.  This thing is at least as good as bottled beer at first
> impression.  You can now run router software very similar to what the
> linksys WR54G series routers use, but since it isn't so resource limited
> as it is in my old BEFSR41, its has another trainload of bells and
> whistles one can setup. Like automatic upnp if I fire up azureus,
> customized firewall rules based on iptables, all the ipv6 stuff when that
> comes in, yadda yadda.
>
> So, until I find out different, I still have a bulletproof firewall
> between me & the net.  And the room is at least 200 watts cooler.
----
Interesting that each time we discuss the topic of you constantly
running GUI as root, you bring on 2 paragraphs on an entirely unrelated
subject as if you are determined to deflect the conversation.

Kubuntu like all flavors of Ubuntu, doesn't let you run as root and
thus, root cannot run GUI.

We are in agreement that you can do as you please on your own machines.
If you want to run GUI as root a Fedora system or any Red Hat EL system,
it won't stop you from doing so and even knowing that constantly running
as root defeats all of the safeguards incorporated into the design and
operation of your Linux systems don't stop you, then by all means have
at it.

Craig