Re: Fedora on an AMD Athlon 64 (3200+) machine

On Nov 18 Timothy Murphy did spake thusly:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a Targa desktop with this processor,
and I have always had problems installing Fedora x86_64 on it.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has had similar problems
with this CPU, or alternatively had no problems installing Fedora.

I asked this some time ago, and as far as I can see
only got replies from people running the i386 version of Fedora-6.

Yesterday I installed the i386 version on my Athlon 64 machine,
and it seems to run without any problems at all -
I compiled kernel-2.6.18.2 in a few seconds,
whereas trying to compile the same kernel under x86_64
caused several crashes during the compilation,
and when it was complete the kernel only ran for a few minutes
before crashing.
(I had the experience trying to re-compile the latest Fedora kernel.)

I suppose it is possible that these problems arise from some fault
in my computer, but it seems much more likely to be a software problem.

So I'll ask again if anyone is happily running the x86_64 version of FC-6
on an Athlon 64 machine?

Running it on a dual opteron with no issue...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Troubled day for virgins over 16 who are beautiful and wealthy and live
in eucalyptus trees.