Re: Problem with kde screensaver on FC6

On 2006-11-18 08:22:53 Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
William W. Austin wrote:

Considering that I also have one other problem (kde keeps diddling my
menu system every time I log in, unfortunately in ways that screw up
other things), I suspect that I'm going to have to bite the bullet
and
blow away EVERTHING in my home dir and start over, putting thins back
one at a time until I find what the problem is.  Sigh.

Define "diddling my menu system"?

-- Rex

"diddling": (exceedingly colloquial - sorry) :-)

Any and/or all of the following:

A) Some entries from various menus are removed -- they previously pointed to valid executables on the system and the relevent "*.desktop" entry still exists under /usr/share (or other appropriate point), and I can read the file, so it isn't a simple permissions change.

B) Some menus are removed and replaced with empty menus of the same name with the extension "-#" added where # is a number 1-4 (I ton't *think* I've seen a higher number here than 4, but I could be wrong). For instance the last time I booted, "Settings" had been replaced with an empty "Settings-2" menu.

C) In my ~/.kde/share/applnk directory additional "spontaneously" directories are created. Sometimes they are named for the changes in item "B)", above, and sometimes not -- it looks random. Sometimes the directories are empty but sometimes they include a reduced set of the contents of the "original" menu which was there before the latest restart of kde. (I don't *think* that an earlier menu has ever been deleted.) Due to this problem, at one point I had the following directories in my ".kde/share/applnk" directory:
	Favorites (original directory, complete - more than 20 entries)
	Favorites-1 (4 entries)
	Favorites-2 (3 entries)
	Favorites-3 (1 entry)
	Favorites-4 (NO entries)
FWIW, this seems to happen to directories which are "normal" directories as well as to smylinked directories, although when a symlink directory is copied, a new local directory is created. As I (think that I) said before this happens ONLY to myself and one other user - root (root does NOT get the screensaver problem but does get this one). I have an fc5 box which demonstrates this behavior but not the screensaver problem as well, but my "~/.kde" directory there is based on my "~/.kde" directory on this machine, and I suspect that somewhere along the way I have hosed up both of
them - I just don't know what.

-Thanks
--
william w. austin                               waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."