modprobe.conf is ignored

Hi,

I own a notebook that has an Intel 3945ABG wireless network adapter. For
this I use the ipw3945 kernel module from ATrpms. To operate properly,
after loading the kernel module a daemon (ipw3945d) has to be started.
According to the documentation this is done by adding the following
lines to /etc/modprobe.conf:

install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945; \
    sleep 0.5; /usr/local/sbin/ipw3945d --timeout=-1 --quiet

This works fine when I load the module manually via "modprobe ipw3945".

At boot time the module gets loaded but the daemon does not get started.
I also tested the following line in /etc/modprobe.conf (instead of the
other one):

install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945; \
    touch /test

Again, the module gets loaded at boot time but the file /test has not
been created. So I think the install command does not get executed at all.

I found a similar help request at the Debian mailing list but it did not
get answered: <http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/07/msg00203.html>.

Does anybody know why the above mentioned install line in
/etc/modprobe.conf does not get executed when the ipw3945 module is
loaded at boot time? I use Fedora Core 6.

Feel free to ask if you need any further information.

Thanks for any help,
Joachim