Re: FC6: Things segfaulting all over

Rick Stevens wrote:

A UPS should not cause any issues.  It's there to supplant the mains

A PROPERLY WORKING UPS will not cause problems. One which is itself
causing power glitches, or which does not adequately suppress mains
glitches, can be a problem.

power if it gets interrupted.  The only way a UPS could cause a segfault
is if the monitoring software that watches the UPS (generally via a
serial port) has issues.

Umm, no.

If one is having tons of segfaults on lots of different applications,
the most likely cause is flakey memory.  Reboot off the first CD and
at the "boot:" prompt, enter "memtest86" and test your RAM.

Well, let's say the #1 cause of problems in all equipment is connectors
of various sorts. The first step I take is always to shut down, power
down, remove the power cord from the mains, and wiggle/remove/reseat
all connectors, like power connectors to floppies, hard drives, CDROMs,
control cables to same, all expansion boards get removed and reseated
(including memory and CPU), etc. Only after this would I run any
software intended to diagnose hardware.

If RAM tests OK, the next most likely culprit is a power supply that's
slowly dying.  Get thyself a DMM and check the supplies.  If they're OK,
then look at the CPU cooling fans.

Or overloaded. Overloaded PSs cause problems.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.