Intel hda sound using STAC9227 codec

I am trying to run FC6 on a Core Duo 2 machine with a DG965RY motherboard.
This machine uses  Intel HDA  sound  with the SigmaTel  9227 codec, which
doesn't seem to work with the present (1.0.12) ALSA drivers. ALSA 1.0.13rc1
et seq. does seem to support this setup, but for some reason Fedora hasn't
released it, although it is available in other distributions. ATrpms supplies a
version for FC6, but I don't want the incompatibilities that come mixing
ATrpms with the other sources (e.g. livna) that I use. I'd build my own libs,
but the ALSA site says explicitly that their code only works with vanilla kernels.
So, what to do?