Re: XP + samba + CUPS = MESS

Jack Byers     byersj@xxxxxxxxxxx

Anne Wilson wrote

Following Tim's instructions I used system-config-printer to install a raw queue.

Maybe all this mess is caused by the oft-quoted problems of using cups and system-config-printer. I don't know. All I do know is that it is a mess, where it used to be fine.

So why are you using system-config-printer?,
why are you fussing with raw queues?

In my experience, as I detailed on an email to this list on nov13,
following exact advice from carla schroder linux cookbook ch 14
you shouldnt need to do anything re "raw"
you shouldnt need to do anything with system-config-printer.

Also, to get xp printing to a linux connected printer on your lan,
you dont need Samba either. The text of your msg didnt say anything re Samba
but your subject heading  does.

I will give another quote from carla schroder's book, p 479,
where she shows how
"your Windows users to have access to Linux-connected printers in your Samba workgroups or domains."

Quote from end of that section:

Note that you can use a standalone CUPS pirnter server, without Samba, for both Windows and Linux clients(see ch14). However, you need Samba to make Windows printers available to Linux
With CUPS, sharing printers is much easier than it was sunder the old Sys V
or Berkeley systems.
You dont have to mess about with raw queues
or complexSamba shares.
Just install them in the usual manner via CUPS, add the
printers share in Samba, and they will magically appear in Network Neighborhood on the Windows pcs.

Endquote

hth
Jack

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk