Re: cloning hard disk for recovery

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: cloning hard disk for recovery
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11/16/2006 05:16 PM

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 16:49 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
My hard disk is squealing like a rodent on fire. I think I am an trouble. I believe I can read the whole drive so I can get the data from it. I have seen a number of references to using dd to clone a disk. That is what I am hoping to do. Here are the steps I am planning to do, please redirect me as needed because I have not had to do this before.

1) Install new hard disk along side the current hard disk
2) dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror,sync
3) remove bad hard disk
4) re-cable the new hard disk using old hard disk connection
5) pray
6) reboot

You shouldn't have any problem as long as you can still read
the old disk and the new one is the same size.  Just don't
try to boot with both drives still in place after the copy
because you will have duplicate disk labels.  Those used
to confuse the kernel when booting, but perhaps it has been
fixed by now.

It appears that this machine is running SATA, If that changes things, let me know. When I try to do a:

# hdparm -i /dev/sda

I get

/dev/sda:
 HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

# fdisk -l

gives me:

Disk /dev/sda: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14       20023   160730325   8e  Linux LVM

But I would really like to have the model, the size it thinks it is and other various details. Is it possible to do this with SATA drives?

New Plan:

1) Install new hard disk along side the current hard disk
2) dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb conv=noerror,sync
3) remove bad hard disk
4) re-cable the new hard disk using old hard disk connection
5) pray twice as hard
6) reboot
begin:vcard
fn:Paul Lemmons
n:Lemmons;Paul
org:Tucson Medical Center;Information Services
adr:;;5301 E. Grant Road;Tucson;AZ;85712;USA
email;internet:paul.lemmons@xxxxxxxxx
title:Lead Systems Software Engineer
tel;work:520-324-1034
tel;fax:520-324-1206