Re: FC6 Power off not working any more

On Thursday 16 November 2006 18:32, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 03:37:54PM +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > After I upgraded to FC6 when I stop the computer, all procedure is
> > completed but power is still on.
> > FC6 is fully updated with latest packages and kernel
> > Where to look at?
>
> I have noticed the same thing on my Toshiba Tecra 8000, which is 7-8
> (??) years old, and uses APM. I have not seen it on two newer
> machines, both of which use APCI.

I've been getting the same problem on FC5, and it seems to have happened after
some updates. The original 2.16.15 kernel still shuts down the machine
completely, but 2.6.17, and later kernels just hang at shutdown. It sounds
like the harddrive has spun down, but the machine hasn't switched off. I have
FC5 installs on the other machine that still havn't been updated with these
updates that seem to have initiated this problem. There are a lot of updates
waiting for these other 2 FC5 installs. Rather than getting apt-get to just
do an apt-get upgrade and seeing this same problem again, has anyone any
suggestions as to what package might be causing this sort of problem. I'm
quite happy to install the packages one at a time , to try and discover which
one is causing shutdown problems with kernels later than 2.6.15.

Nigel.