Re: SSH question

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:50, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 15/11/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Under my FC4 installs I am asked for the ssh passphrase at login time.
> > This box, FC6, does not ask me.  Instead I am asked when I first open a
> > terminal. Normally this causes no problem.  However, today I had to go
> > out early and did not open a terminal until a few minutes ago.  I find
> > that an rsync across the network was refused permission - presumably
> > because I had not made this 'first step'.
> >
> > What is the reason for the change in behaviour?  What would I have to do
> > if I wanted to keep the old behaviour?  If it's not advisable, why not?
>
> Afraid I can't help, but I haven't upgraded to FC6 yet and I'm curious:
> 1. You don't have to login to the desktop?

Yes, I log in as normal.  On FC4 I then was asked for the shh passphrase.

> 2. You are asked to login on opening an xterm (or gnome-terminal etc.)?

Not exactly.  I'm asked for the ssh passphrase there.  In FC4 I used to see a
message that indicated that ssh was up and running, but I can't remember the
wording.  Something like 'the key xxxxxxxx' is in use'.  I'm sure it wasn't
that, but something like that.  Now I have to give the passphrase there, and
I see 'Identity added: /home/anne/.ssh/id_dsa (/home/anne/.ssh/id_dsa)'.

The reason I'm using keychain is that I run a short script that rsyncs certain
directories of my work onto my server.  That way I'm assured that I never
lose more than 3 hours of work, excepting the extreme catastrophe of both
boxes have disk failures at the same time.

Anne