Re: How to mount and umount a USB pen drive without being root?

oleksandr korneta wrote:

on 11/05/2006 06:49 PM Craig White wrote:
On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 23:42 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
Dear All

How to mount and umount a USB pen drive without being root?

What bothers me that the behavior in fc6 is different from fc4. What I used to do was to turn off the automount of the removable storage in gnome-volume-properties and mount everything manually, using the fact that the mounting node was immediately created in /media when, say, a pendrive was plugged in. It gives me kind of confidence that everything is under my control... :)

Now I see (fc6) that despite the fact that the drive is recognized properly (/dev/sdaX is created) and it appears in nautilus under "computer" the mounting point in /media is not created anymore and no record in fstab until you mount the drive through the right_click/double_click. So there is no way to mount it from command line (or at list I dont know about any) and I have to open anutilus every time I want to mount something.

You can still do this from the command line, but you need to use gnome-mount instead of a normal mount if you're a normal user.

'gnome-mount -d /dev/sdaX' will create a mount point under /media and will mount the device there. You can use gnome-eject to unmount the device.

Details are in info gnome-mount (there's no man page for some reason). It a bit more of a pain than having the automount to /media, but it does provide a workround from the command line.

Simon.

 It seems like now hal is not even
using /etc/fstab for creating the record about the removable media... We are moving further and further away from good old linux... Does anyone know the way to rollback to the old behavior?