Re: Issues w/ cups-lpd

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 16:35, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 13:30, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 13:24 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > It tells me that I don't have permission to do anything with this
> > > printer - I had given the root password.  Obviously I need to clear the
> > > queue of this file, or nothing else is going to print, even with the
> > > basic raw printer setting.
> >
> > Use the web interface to clear out print jobs.
>
> It won't let me.  There are no jobs listed, so I tried to stop the printer.
> It said:
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.
>
> I had logged into the web interface as root.
>
> > Don't use the raw queue
> > for printing to; it just needs to exist and not be used.
> >
> > Tim.
> > */
>
> I didn't, but it ended up in the raw queue.  I don't know whether I'll get
> any more time to play with this tonight, but if I can only find a way to
> get that job out of the queue I'll experiment more tomorrow.
>
> Anne

Using system-config-printer, I discovered that the raw printer queue had not
be set to shareable, so I enabled that, then tried another print from XP.
Nothing came out, but at least the print queue no longer looked 'bunged up'.
Examining the Completed Jobs list I found several entries like

Printer-1144   smbprn.00000044 Home - Mandriva   Anne   230k    cancelled at
Tue Nov 14 22:10:06 2006

I did not cancel anything - it wouldn't let me.  Looking at the timestamps for
the cancellations, though, maybe it did cancel, or at least mark it to be
cancelled later.

I then, as root, tried to restart the last job (tried it on another one, too)
and got

Error:
client-error-not-possible

I have only ever seen that in the past when I was not logged in as root.

Has *anyone* any idea what is happening?  It doesn't make any sense to me at
all.  I'm beginning to wonder if an update has introduced a bug.

Anne