Re: Feeling real grumpy !

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:49:44PM -0500, William Case wrote:
> ATI: Rage 128. Looks like driver locking issue. "
[...]
> If it is a driver locking problem, then there can be an expectation that
> it is being worked on.  Buying a new video card is a $200 - $300

I think you need to readjust your expectations. The number of known problems
in software far outstrips the ability to fix them. If there's no compelling
reason to devote effort to a particular problem, it's unlikely to be
addressed. Particularly, in this case, the card works fine in its normal
usage, and it's unlikely that someone will spend a lot of time trying to
make it work with newer and fancier things, because even at its best, this
card is going to be very slow at 3D.

It's possible there is a bored graphics hacker out there with this card who
is working on it. But it's unlikely.

> solution, or a $800 - $1,200 new computer solution which seems to fly in
> the face of the Linux philosophy.  The driver problem may not be r128,

Which Linux philosophy would that be?

Certainly no one is stopping anyone from working on this.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>