Re: FC6 Missing icons after update and terminal not starting

antonio montagnani wrote:
After concluding the full update of my server I re-send a message of a
few days ago, where I didn't get any answer:

I updated a server to FC6 (that started from RH8 through all steps of
Fedora). and I made a full update by yum.

I lost many icons in main menus(also the main icons for Applications /
Resources)
and I lost icons (not all) also in the menus (for example
Graphics...Internet and so on..)
I can't see icons for different type of files in nautilus

Another clue: when I start a session I get a warning stating:

An error occurred during start-up of settings daemon of Gnome
Some aspects as themes, sound or desktop settings could not work properly
Settings daemon has been started too many times.
Last error message has been:

Impossible to activate 'OAFID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'
Gnome will try to restart settings daemon at next login

and another warning: Icon gnome-fs-home not found

I can't also start the Terminal window

I made a short research googling and in bugzilla but no clue: any idea
where to start to solve the problem.The server is working fine apart
from these problems, the most annoying is Terminal not starting!!!
--

You might try yum groupinstall <groupname> in order to assure that all the elements for the group are installed. You can get a list of groups by running 'yum grouplist' to see different groups available. Replace the <groupname> with the desired group. For groups that are multiple words, enclosing the group with the " at both ends should pull in the group. (EXAMPLE: "yum groupinstall "This group for Rent" should pull in the group listed as This group for rent.) This should also get you additional packages that an upgrade might miss. It is sort of a poor man's install "Whats New Group".

Jim

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.