Re: problem with slow computer on Internet

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 16:19 -0600, Scott Berry wrote:
> My father tells me that it takes a long time for things to come up in
> Firefox.  Does anyone have ideas why this might be?
>
> Scott

It's not usually firefox's fault. When I had BellSouth's best DSL
package it screamed. Now I'm using something less and on a household
router to boot, to get my share of bandwidth and my results are far
less. If you have a router, make sure Dad has set it up so that your
machine is the #1 machine, instead of his. <huge evil grin> Whoops! I
hope I didn't start something <sniggers> giving Dad's secrets away.

But, before you pang on the Old Man, make sure you have all the services
turned off that you don't use.... use the application "services" which
should be in your menu. Things like nftp, samba, httpd all can safely be
turned off, -if- you are not using them. You might gain a tiny bit of
speedup. Who's admining the home network? Please check with Dad before
you push any buttons. Please don't tell him Wayward4now suggested you do
so, as I didn't!! <grins> Check things out, make notes, check things out
again, then teamwork with Pops to get the most out of the bandwidth
share available to you.

This will be a good way to learn a bit about networking.... maybe Uncles
Lonnie, Gene and Kurt, and Aunties Anne and jdow will chip in some
really good advice. Print them out, and have then have Dad read the
notes. Keep ole Dad in the loop, and then we'll worry less about helping
you out. Ric