Re: Nvidia installer does uninstall previous kernel driver ?

On 11/13/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 13 November 2006 14:21, Kim Lux wrote:
>In my rant last week, I complained about how the Nvidia installer
>uninstalled the video driver for previous kernels.  Some people said
>this wasn't so.
>
>This morning I installed kernel 2849 via yum.  When I ran it, I was
>forced to build a new driver using the
>NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run installer.   This is the same
>installer that I used with my 2835 kernel last week.
>
>When I did the install this morning, I received the following. (From
>my /var/log/nvidia-installer.log)
>
>"> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system
>(version: 1.0-
>   9629).  As part of installing this driver (version: 1.0-9629), the
>existing
>   driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? ('no'
>will a
>   bort installation) (Answer: Yes)"
>
>So it appears that one must un install the driver for the previous
>kernel to install a driver for the current kernel.  Just to be sure, I
>tried running kernel 2835 and X windows will not start for it.  So the
>previous driver does get un installed, even though the same installer is
>being used.
>
>This causes me a lot of grief.
>
>If anyone knows of a work around for this problem, I'd love to hear it.
>
>Thanks.

Kim, if I can get your attention, you were no doubt building it on a
kernel that already did use nvidia.  That means their installer, which
probably did a uname -r to see what it was to build for, checked and saw
there was already one there that it would have to overwrite.

Now, since the kernels all keep their own versions of all the modules
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel, and there can be no clash between
versions because each kernel looks in its
own /lib/modules/`umane -r`/kernel directory tree for its own module
resources.  If you had switched to the nv driver, then rebooted to the
new kernel to do this build/install, then there should not have been a
problem.

If thats not the case, then either nvidia's build script is terminally
broken, or you have indeed found a new way to thoroughly fubar things.

Or Kim just has no clue what he's doing, and isn't willing to RTFM.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org