Re: Nvidia installer does uninstall previous kernel driver ?

On 11/13/06, Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my rant last week, I complained about how the Nvidia installer
uninstalled the video driver for previous kernels.  Some people said
this wasn't so.

This morning I installed kernel 2849 via yum.  When I ran it, I was
forced to build a new driver using the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run installer.   This is the same
installer that I used with my 2835 kernel last week.

When I did the install this morning, I received the following. (From
my /var/log/nvidia-installer.log)

"> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system
(version: 1.0-
   9629).  As part of installing this driver (version: 1.0-9629), the
existing
   driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? ('no'
will a
   bort installation) (Answer: Yes)"

So it appears that one must un install the driver for the previous
kernel to install a driver for the current kernel.  Just to be sure, I
tried running kernel 2835 and X windows will not start for it.  So the
previous driver does get un installed, even though the same installer is
being used.

This causes me a lot of grief.

If anyone knows of a work around for this problem, I'd love to hear it.

-K, --kernel-module-only
     Install a kernel module only, and do not uninstall the
     existing driver.  This is intended to be used to install
     kernel modules for additional kernels (in cases where you
     might boot between several different kernels).  To use this
     option, you must already have a driver installed, and the
     version of the installed driver must match the version of
     this kernel module.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org