Re: Format and write to a DVD-RW

On Monday 13 November 2006 07:13, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Monday 13 November 2006 09:26, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Monday 13 November 2006 05:25, Jeff Vian wrote:
>> > Since DVDRW drives (16X dual layer) sell for about $50 - $70 just
>> > about anywhere why not replace it?
>>
>> I plan to replace my writer soon.  Is dual-layer writing supported
>> yet?  Or do we continue for the moment with single-layer?
>
>Having later read the thread 'Burning a backup to DVD-DL' I see that it
> is supported.  Sorry for wasting bandwidth.
>
>Anne

Yes, and there is another, even longer thread detailing the failures when
those disks were to be used as a bare metal recovery.  IIRC Ric Moore was
in the middle of that, or the victim maybe.

I just installed a new burner myself, DL & LightScribe capable.  But I was
rather disappointed to find that Lacie's lightscribe drivers take around
23 minutes to burn a best quality image (that isn't best quality at the
src, ntsc video snapshot stolen from the wedding).  The just under a gig
wedding video on the shiney side was only a 4-5 minute job.  But, after 5
months, I finally got that job done & Dee will deliver the disks this
noon-time.

I'm under the impression that mkisofs, which is used by growisofs, may
still have a 4GB filesize limit, in which case the DL disks will probably
be coasters.  I haven't personally tried it yet, lost the incentive when
the LightScribe drive in my lappy was destroyed by the first use of
4L-gui.  HP will replace it, but I've not been back to town since the
replacement drive came in.

--
Cheers, Gene