Re: Burning a backup to DVD-DL

At 3:24 PM -0600 11/12/06, Gabriel M. Elder wrote:
>On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 20:35 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>> 	I have a backup of my system in an "exustar" .star archive file.  Its
>> 7.5 GB in size.  I want to write this file to a Double Layer DVD+R disk
>> which claims to be 8.5GB in capacity.  I have tried growisofs, and K3B,
>> and I can't seem to find the magic incantation which will allow me to do
>> this:
>>
>> > growisofs -dvd-compat -dry-run -speed=2 -Z /dev/hdd root.star
>> > Executing 'mkisofs root.star | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdd obs=32k seek=0'
>> > INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
>> >         Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
>> >         use -input-charset to override.
>> > mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File root.star is too
>>large - ignoring
>
>I think your problem is in the mkisofs step. I'm not seeing anything in
>the mkisofs documentation explicitly indicating that it supports
>creation of dual-layer iso images. You can ask around on the cdrtools
>mailing lists. You can also check the mkisofs source code; look for any
>sort of constants or #defines that may relate to DVD_MAX_IMAGE_SIZE (or
>whatever), and then look for any "if" conditional statements that would
>exit with an error status if image_file_size > DVD_MAX_IMAGE_SIZE, for
>example. You could then add a constant to handle the larger media type
>input data size, and modify the conditionals accordingly. Maybe even add
>a command-line option to explicitly tell mkisofs that it will be
>generating an iso image for dual-layer dvd media, so it can expect and
>size accordingly.
>
>> > Total translation table size: 0
>> > Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
>> > Total directory bytes: 0
>> > Path table size(bytes): 10
>>
>> With K3B, when I try and move the root.star file into the DVD Project
>> window (after making it 8.0GB in size), I get a popup telling me that
>> K3B can't move files bigger than 4GB!

The problem is the size of root.star.  There is a 2 GiB limit for files in
a ISO9660 filesystem (and the workaround reportedly does not work in
general).  Probably star's tsize option is needed, to split the backup into
1 or 2 GiB "tapes".
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>