Re: MIDI

At 8:28 PM -0800 11/11/06, jdow wrote:
>From: "Tony Nelson" <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>
>>>This thread might be of interest to the linux-audio-dev group, so I've
>>>added them to the Cc:

>>>More robust IMO than the din connectors now used for midi interconnects,
>>>however the cabling itself can't help but be more fragile when subjected
>>>to the rigors of a jam session with bodies walking on them all night.
>>>And that has to be a consideration else the first users will get
>>>discouraged at the high cable failure rates and revert, particularly if
>>>they have a tin ear and can't hear what to many of us would be an
>>>extremely obvious improvement.
>>>
>>>But I like that idea, a lot.  Maybe some enterprising LAD people could get
>>>together and spec something like a midi interface running over firewire,
>>>complete with the repeaters so it can be daisy-chained just like midi can
>>>be, and hopefully release it into the PD as a new midi-2 interface
>>>standard.  And design it such that it never, ever gets into the snails
>>>trail of the 31,250 baud interface it uses today.
>>
>> It's already done.  MIDI runs over Firewire, along with audio.  Google for
>> "midi firewire".  Buy it now.
>
>Look at its specs. It is designed to closely mimic wire transport. So
>any given chunk of virtual wire is going to be as slow as MIDI wires.

How can that be?  MIDI latency is determined by the bit rate of serial
transport.  Firewire MIDI latency is improved by the high bit rate, delayed
only by the 8 per ms Isoch frame rate.  There's no need for greater than
1/4 ms latency on Firewire MIDI for even a large number of MIDI events
(notes, aftertouch, what have you).
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>