Re: FC6 Wireless on Thinkpad T43

El Domingo, 12 de Noviembre de 2006 02:23, Sam Varshavchik escribió:
> I got my hands on a T43 Thinkpad.  I loaded up FC6, and applied all
> updates, as of now (FC6 is only a few weeks old, and it's already got 100+
> updated packages…)
>
> I'm following Bill Moss's page:
> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml
>
> I got Livna plugged in, and installed the ipw2200-firmware package.  After
> a reboot, I see all the right messages in syslog, and the firmware gets
> loaded, and the ipw2200 kernel modules seems to be very happy.
>
> According to Bill Moss's page, I should be able to set various wireless
> parameters through the Network manager, simply by clicking "Edit" on the
> wireless network device.  However, when I do that, I get the identical
> "Edit properties" screen that one gets for a wired Ethernet network
> interface.
>
> Now, in the Network manager, the "Hardware" tab shows the the eth0
> interface is the T-43's built-in Broadcom 10/100 Ethernet card, and eth1 is
> the "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless" device.  eth0's type reads "ethernet",
> and eth1's type reads "wireless".
>
> That's the story in the Network manager's "Hardware" tab.  But, back in the
> "Devices" tab, both eth0 and eth1's type is shown as "Ethernet", and trying
> to edit eth1's properties prompts me for the usual ethernet settings, not
> wireless settings.
>
> I'm think that Anaconda incorrectly set up both interfaces, eth0 and eth1,
> as Ethernet devices, and the Network manager is confused. It correctly
> shows eth1 as a wireless interface in the "Hardware" tab, based on
> whatever data it uses for the "Hardware" tab.  I'm guessing that it uses
> the stuff in /etc/sysconfig to set up the "Devices" tab, and Anaconda
> incorrectly set both eth0's and eth1's types to "ethernet" in
> /etc/sysconfig.
>
> I haven't looked at the contents of /etc/sysconfig.  Before I begin
> screwing around and trying to figure out how what I need to do there to get
> the Network manager to recognize eth1 as a Wireless device, can anyone
> confirm my suspicions, please.  Secondly, is there a general FC-oriented
> high-level wireless tutorial; that talks about high level configuration
> details -- i.e. how to set things up so that FC connects to public access
> points
> automatically, etc…
>
> P.S.  irwconfig happily detects wireless extensions on eth1, and I
> interpret its output as basically telling me the card is simply
> unconfigured.  So, I think that I'm good kernel-wise, and it's just the
> Network manager that needs a mild kick in the pants.

You should set a HWADDR to each interface, you could do that in
the  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file.
Trying setting different HWADDR to eth0 and eth1, you'll be able to do that
including the line:
HWADDR=00:XX:YY:KK:FF:OO

I have had the same problem, well, not exactly the same but FC5 was confused
and used to mix eth1 and eth0 so when i booted the systems some times wifi
interface was eth0 and sometimes eth0 it was solved by setting specific MAC
adress to each interface.
Hope that helps.
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.