Re: /dev/ttySx problems... solved

On Friday 10 November 2006 19:41, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 09:28 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Cool use of your serial port.  Have you gone into your /dev directory
>> >and 'chmod o+rw ttyS*' as root?
>> >
>> >If this is too much of a noob approach, then I'm busted ;>)
>> >
>> >My privileges are:
>> >[root@localhost dev]# ls -l ttyS*
>> >crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Nov  9 19:29 ttyS0
>> >crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Nov  9 19:31 ttyS1
>> >crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Nov  9 14:13 ttyS2
>> >crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Nov  9 14:13 ttyS3
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >stan
>>
>> Ok, tried that, got this:
>> [root@coyote dev]# ls -l ttyS*
>> crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Nov  9 16:35 ttyS0
>> crw----rw- 1 root root 4, 65 Nov  9 16:35 ttyS1
>> crw----rw- 1 root root 4, 66 Nov  9 16:35 ttyS2
>> crw----rw- 1 root root 4, 67 Nov  9 16:35 ttyS3
>
>Stan's suggestion only changes the other permissions.  You may want to
>run it as chmod +rw /dev/ttyS?  to give the permissions to user, group,
>and other.

chmod +rw has apparently zero effect here, I have to use numbers, as in
chmod 0666 ttyS*, which does this:

[root@coyote dev]# chmod 0666 ttyS*
[root@coyote dev]# ls -l ttyS*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Nov 10 10:45 ttyS0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 4, 65 Nov 10 10:45 ttyS1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 4, 66 Nov 10 10:45 ttyS2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 4, 67 Nov 10 10:45 ttyS3
[root@coyote dev]# setserial /dev/ttyS0
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
[root@coyote dev]# setserial /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1: No such device or address
[root@coyote dev]#

I have rebuilt the 2.6.19-rc5 kernel I was using for FC2, to include the
LVM stuff but haven't rebooted to test.  Just copied into boot and used
it fails because I wasn't using LVM with FC2.

However, this is as good a time as any to save this in drafts and try
that, brb in about 10 minutes after I test this.

And it failed, I think I forgot to insert the udev pieces, the final msg
before it self-rebooted was something about no such file: /dev/console.

Humm, a make xconfig doesn't show a udev option anyplace.  This is a
kernel org kernel I'm building, and it runs great on the other hard
drive.

This would be easier if I could setup grub.conf to chain to the other
drive, is this possible?  If so how, because that would stop me from
having to physically swap drives to revert to FC2.  If I can chain to the
grub.conf on hdb1, and edit that drives /etc/fstab to reflect its drive
b, I should be able to just reboot to the other drive, and FC2.

I have a manpage for grub, but it doesn't mention the chain command, and
there is not a manpage for grub.conf or menu.lst in this install, so I'm
blind & cannot RTFM in this case.

[...]

One other beef: With all the rebooting I just did to write the failure
msgs down, I'm half blind from the consoles incessant flashing anytime
somethings written to it.  It doesn't do that when booting FC2, with any
of my self-built kernels.  Its very, like a random strobe light in your
eyes, distracting.
--
Cheers, Gene