Re[2]: Samba Authentication Hassles for Mac

Did you change the "encrypt passwords" setting in samba?  Look at the logs in /var/log/samba for hints, and tell us what you see.

Hi Gordon,

To answer you question: "No I did not change that."  I'll checked and it was commented out.  The smb.conf file looks like it offers some other configuration opportunities - I can check them out to see if they help.

So, I purchased the DAVE app from Thursby.com for $119 (after a successful TRY&BUY experience) and now I can connect.  OK... it looks like it's a basic MacOSX problem - or a Fedora smb.conf problem that the Mac chokes on - because nobody in the Windows world has a problem connecting to the box I was aiming at.  I have tried changing the OS user:group, permissions, etc to no avail.  I'll post a bug report at developer.apple.com - but I imagine it'll probably be a low priority for them.  At least they'll HEAR about about the issue.

Thanks VERY much for your attention to my question!

Lance Drake