Re: Mounting USB devices with stable names

Phil Savoie wrote:
On November 10, 2006 12:56, Mike McCarty wrote:

I have an issue which will shortly be important to me, though
in past it has not been a problem. It appears to me that it
may be a general problem in some ways.

I have for some time used an external USB hard drive. I find that
sometimes it must be mounted as /dev/sda1 and sometimes /dev/sde1,
and have consequently made two entries in my /etc/fstab, and just
live with what I have. This occurs even though the disc is always
plugged into the same USB port.

I now have a USB FLASH drive, and so this is going to be more
of a problem, as I have different file systems on those, and
have a need to specify the mount NOT to be "auto" to ascertain
the fs type, since I am overriding the default for the FLASH
drive. In any case, the FLASH drive is also not always appearing
as the same device. I don't want to have to become root and
fiddle /etc/fstab every time I try to mount the FLASH drive.

I've seen others here with what appears to be a similar problem
with running two ethernet ports, and not being able to know
which will be eth0. I wonder whether this be related.

In any case, would some please give me advice on how to handle
the "floating" USB devices?

Thanks very muchly for your time.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You may want to read up here:

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Hope this helps,

I have only just very briefly looked at the subject, and it indeed
seems to address the issue. I have yet to ascertain whether it
is the solution I'm looking for. But I'm sending this just to say:

Thanks so much for the pointer.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.