Re: Mixed lan printing problem

On Friday 10 November 2006 13:27, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 13:12 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I need to print from an XP laptop to a printer on FC4.  The command in
> > smb.conf that I have always used is
> >
> > print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r  # using client side printer
> > drivers
> >
> > I have not been able to get the printing to work today - the laptop
> > hasn't been in use for months.  I deleted the printer and added a new
> > connection. It said it could see the printer, add it and make it default,
> > but nothing comes out at the other end.
> >
> > The cups error log gives me:
> >
> > 	I [10/Nov/2006:12:20:44 +0000] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/jobs.cgi"
> > (pid=3389)
> > 	E [10/Nov/2006:12:24:01 +0000] print_job: Unsupported
> > format 'application/octet-stream'!
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> I think this might be the same cause as another message posted to this
> list.  Here is my reply:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-November/msg02451.html
>
> Short version: try creating a raw queue (any name) on the print server.
> This will cause raw jobs to be allowed in.

OK, done that.  Now, IIRC, on the laptop I have to install a generic ps
printer - is that right?  I think they used to recommend one of the Apple
drivers, but I can't see anything that I recognise.

I know I could print when Mandriva was on the server, but I'm very surprised
if I haven't printed anything from windows since February, when FC4 was
installed.  Possible, though.  I rarely boot to windows.  On this occasion it
was for one of those annoying but necessary websites that presumably use
activex or similar.

Anne