Re: New FC6 install, perms probs galore

Gene Heskett wrote:

> 3. A ps -ea|grep fetchmail says its running, but like heyu, its not
> generating its separate log, and neither is procmail which is also
> keeping its own logfile, both of those configs copied from a perfectly
> working FC2 system. But no mail is coming in that I can find. So I may
> have to fire up x on the firewall and suck mail with it for a bit.
>
> Now lets see if it can find the server at vz and send this...

Well, it made it out...

One idea -- are you using IPv6? (If you don't know, you probably aren't).

If you run

telnet 127.0.0.1 smtp

do you get a response? Something like:

Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 hostname ESMTP Sendmail ...

If you do, then sendmail is running. (It looks like you're running
sendmail...) Enter "quit" to leave sendmail. If not, you need to
investigate Sendmail.

If you run

telnet localhost smtp

do you get the same response? If not, then sendmail isn't listening on
the IPv6 loopback address -- in FC6, by default, localhost points to ::1,
the IPv6 loopback address. One simple way of fixing this is to edit
/etc/hosts and change ::1 to 127.0.0.1.

How are you running fetchmail -- are you putting stuff in /etc/init.d,
running it from /etc/rc.d/rc.local, manually, from crontab, whatever?

What happens if you run the appropriate local equivalent of
fetchmail -v --fetchmailrc /etc/fetchmailrc

You're not using the --smtphost, -S, smtphost or smtp keywords anywhere,
are you?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | [The Child Support Agency] spent $500M on a computer
aprilcottage.co.uk | system from EDS that did not work. The solution? Give EDS