Re: Samba Authentication Hassles for Mac

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 21:42 -0700, Lance Drake wrote:
> Hi Fedora Folks,
>
> 	What is the problem with getting a Mac to be able to mount a share?
>
> 	I have no such difficulty with the Windows machine in my office -
> but cannot get the Mac OSX box past the "Name or Password does not
> match" error.
>
> 	If you don't have the answer in the front of your head (most likely
> scenario) can anyone suggest what tools I might want to use or where
> a log file might be that I would want to look at?
-----
On Mac OS X

Go => Connect to server => smb://netbios_name_of_samba_server (or
smb://ip_address_of_samba_server)

user:     always use the short name that is on the samba system (not the
Mac)
password: the one that matches
domain:   the workgroup specified on the samba server

this should be simple stuff.

Otherwise, check the log on your samba server.
/var/log/samba/log.IP_ADDRESS_OF_PROBLEM_SYSTEM

Craig