Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 20:44 +0000, Thierry Sayegh De Bellis wrote:
> Kim Lux wrote:
> ame time as the kernel ?
> >
> > So I'd have to teach my mom to make sure to not boot the new kernel for
> > a few days and, as a matter of fact, check that the new driver is
> > installed before booting it.  In effect, teach her to rpm -q
> > kmod-nvidia ?  Yeah, that seems user friendly.
> >

> Let's be realistic here, Linux for the masses (of mums) is just a plain
> silly concept at the moment.

> If your requirements are simple (email, web) you should be able to get
> by just fine, otherwise you accept the basic fact that you need to be
> technically inclined or willing to be enlightened / learn.

Or we could *improve* Linux until it is a little bit more user
friendly ?  Wow what a concept that would be !

> If i think about 1993 when I was installing Linux on a laptop from a
> stack of floppies, well I am really impressed with the situation now,
> so much *bling* in so little effort.

I totally agree with that.  I wasn't around Linux in '93, but I agree
with the gist of what you are saying.

> Ranting and bitching because you are too lazy to be realistic will not
> get you anywhere.

Thank you for identifying a new personality trait for me that I never
knew I had.  As far as realism goes, it seems to me that every other
driver installs without me building it.

> Besides Fedora is meant to be "a free operating system that offers the
> best combination of stable and cutting-edge software that exists in the
> free software world."
>
> Stable is good but there is that "cutting-edge" aspect you need to take
> into consideration...I am not a native English speaker but I do
> understand the standpoint there ; and you are playing with "testing"
> packages so stop throwing your toys out of the pram, grow up and become
> an adult. You might even get some fun along the way...

Once again thanks for clouding the issue by introducing the red herring
concept of stability and then using a metaphor that infers I am a
baby !

The nvidia driver situation has nothing to do with kernel age or
stability.  You can go back to 2.4.x kernels and the problem is still
there.  Would Fedora core 2 be stable enough for you ?  Please name me a
distro/release that doesn't have this problem !

> Otherwise go get yourself a nvidia friendly distribution and stop trolling

Which would be what ?

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.