Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On 11/9/06, Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 13:40 -0500, Kurt Wall wrote:
> > Yesterday I absentmindedly ran "yum update".  Stupid me, I didn't
> watch
> > it and apparently a new kernel got installed (2835).
>
> Why is this NVIDIA's fault?

I was being facetious.  On computers with other video cards, updating to
a new kernel is a trivial exercise !

Clearly you've never used a computer with a recent ATI GPU.

> Take it up with the kernel developers. They're the ones who changed
> config.h
> to autoconf.h.

Damn them, what were they thinking ?  Did this change occur with the
very last kernel that fc6 released with or was it MAYBE present in a few
kernels before that ?  Of course nvidia was totally on top of the
situation, checking that their driver built with all the kernels
released for fc6-test3, right ? WRONG !

The first FC6 kernel was the first to include this change.  If you had
bothered to read the nvnews.net forums (as the nvidia driver README
suggests), you'd see that NVIDIA actually did notice the change back
in FC6-test3, and opened a bug at that time to correct their driver.
Open mouth, insert foot.

I also googled around to see if other people were building drivers for
2835 and if so, what success they were having.  Can you imagine if we
had to do this for every piece of hardware on our PCs ?

That argument is growing rather tedious.  This might surprise you, but
for most operating systems that model is exactly how it works for
hardware support.  Just because you/we have become spoiled by the fact
that our OS of choice ships with hardware support for most hardware on
the market (and NOT all) doesn't mean that its the way is everywhere.

> > BTW: google doesn't work with lynx, nor does surfing some helpful
> > websites.
> And why is this NIVIDIA's fault?

Because with ANY other driver, I wouldn't have been working from a
command line !  My server has an ATI card in it.   I've never spent one
second of time thinking about it.   It has never forced me to work from
the command line !

What kind of fool runs X on a server?  And as others have already
pointed out, you could have used the 'nv' X driver, had you actually
had any clues about your hardware or Linux.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org