Re: i8k module and x86_64 kernel

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:41:27AM +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> El Jueves, 9 de Noviembre de 2006 09:58, Marcel J.E. Mol escribió:
> > After setting up my new inspiron laptop with FC6 x86_64 I noticed the i8k
> > module is not present. It turned out the module is only present in the i686
> > kernel package.
> >
> > Is there a reason i8k is not in 64-bit kernels?
> >

> I supposed that they are trying to port the module to 64 bit kernels, maybe
> you could contact the developer and ask him if there's a plan to include i8k
> on kernel for 64bits distros, I hope so.
>
> Furthermore I rembemer that i read (don't know where) that the problem was (i
> don't know if it's still a problem) that the main developer of i8k hasn't got
> a 64bit machine where he could be able to test his driver and modifying it if
> that was necesary.

I forced compilation of the driver for x86_64 and the basic part seems to
work, but it oopses on the small bit of assembly code in the i8k_smm function
of the driver:

/*
 * Call the System Management Mode BIOS. Code provided by Jonathan Buzzard.
 */
static int i8k_smm(struct smm_regs *regs)
{
        int rc;
        int eax = regs->eax;

        asm("pushl %%eax\n\t"
            "movl 0(%%eax),%%edx\n\t"
            "push %%edx\n\t"
            "movl 4(%%eax),%%ebx\n\t"
            "movl 8(%%eax),%%ecx\n\t"
            "movl 12(%%eax),%%edx\n\t"
            "movl 16(%%eax),%%esi\n\t"
            "movl 20(%%eax),%%edi\n\t"
            "popl %%eax\n\t"
            "out %%al,$0xb2\n\t"
            "out %%al,$0x84\n\t"
            "xchgl %%eax,(%%esp)\n\t"
            "movl %%ebx,4(%%eax)\n\t"
            "movl %%ecx,8(%%eax)\n\t"
            "movl %%edx,12(%%eax)\n\t"
            "movl %%esi,16(%%eax)\n\t"
            "movl %%edi,20(%%eax)\n\t"
            "popl %%edx\n\t"
            "movl %%edx,0(%%eax)\n\t"
            "lahf\n\t"
            "shrl $8,%%eax\n\t"
            "andl $1,%%eax\n":"=a"(rc)
            :    "a"(regs)
            :    "%ebx", "%ecx", "%edx", "%esi", "%edi", "memory");

        if (rc != 0 || (regs->eax & 0xffff) == 0xffff || regs->eax == eax)
                return -EINVAL;

        return 0;
}

I don't now much of assembly but it seems is playing with the stack and asks an
ioport for some info. I can imagine this needs tweaking to work on 64-bit
architecture. I guess we have to wait till someone has a bright idea to solve this...

-Marcel