Re: wierd whois problem

John Aldrich wrote:
On Wednesday 08 November 2006 3:50 pm, Paul Howarth wrote:
It's working for me. My whois client is /usr/bin/whois, from the jwhois
package.

Could you give an example of a domain you've tried and the information
you expected to get back in one go but didn't?

Sure... I'll use one of my domains: dngnbbs.com. Here's what I get:

[john@slave1 ~]$ whois dngnbbs.com
[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[whois.verisign-grs.com]

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: DNGNBBS.COM
   Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com

Under the *old* system (FC3) it would automatically re-direct to whois.godaddy.com and provide the info. Instead, it now requires me to *manually* query the registrar. I realize that the current way of things was how it used to work, back in the "old-old days" (i.e. back when it was still RedHat...maybe even before RH9) but I kinda got spoiled by not having to manually query the registrar.

This looks like a regression. Add the following clause to the server-options section of /etc/jwhois.conf:

	"whois\\.verisign-grs\\.com" {
		whois-redirect = ".*Whois Server: \\(.*\\)";
	}

That'll fix it.

Paul.