/dev/ttySx problems

I am running Fedora 5 on an MSI AMD socket 754 mainboard, and I want to use Pikdev with a serial port microcontroller programmer. The problem is that I cannot get the serial port to come alive. Below are the rights properties, and I have added myself to the uucp and ls groups.
[stan@localhost ~]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Nov  7 14:18 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Nov  7 14:18 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Nov  7 14:18 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Nov  7 14:18 /dev/ttyS3
[stan@localhost ~]$

Pikdev has a debugging function to allow the operator to turn specific pins on and off. There is no response to the serial port, and I have tried all ports with all combinations of address/IRQ settings in the BIOS. Turning parallel port pins on and off is a snap.

Anyone see what I have set up incorrectly? (By the way, I did check the serial cable thoroughly for continuity, and the serial port is soldered in as part of the motherboard to leave me no opportunity to have forgotten to connect a cable.)

Thanks.

stan