Re: disable modules in xorg.conf?

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:28:36 -0500
Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "X -configure' to see if it generates a working X file that is
> substantial enough to prevent the guessing game.

Yea, I suppose it might be possible that if there is a Modules
section, the server won't provide modules on its own. I'll try
that next time I have FC6 booted again.

Of course, I already discovered that no power in the universe
will prevent X from coming up with its own modeline data.
My reading of the source for the radeon driver indicated you
could override the modeline by using the "PanelSize" option,
but apparently that doesn't work. Instead of using my modeline
with a slightly reduced refresh rate (which works on FC5), it
ignores mine and comes up with its own modeline, apparently
designed for a CRT with a clock rate totally out of range.

I may yet be forced to rebuild all of X just to get it to try
something that probably won't work anyway :-).