Re: Webcam choice

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Monday 06 November 2006 16:59, Philip Walden wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
My webcam is fairly old, and it looks as though it has had its day.  I get
a picture in ekiga, but it is hopelessly wrong in colour and hopelessly
out of focus.  It's not got a focusing ring, either.  I think it's time
to buy a new one.

I looked at what my local supplier is offering, picked out two that look
good (after discarding several others for a variety of reasons) and tried
to google for linux compatibility.  The only references I found were very
old, and with things changing at the rate they do that makes them
untrustworthy in my eyes.

I need a webcam easily available in the UK.  Any recommendations?

Anne
From the http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Webcam-HOWTO/hardware.html#MODELS

"Note that this information is frequently changing. The Linux-USB Device
Overview <http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/index.php> site is a great
place to look if you have a USB webcam. Also, you will want to check for
your model's homepage at http://www.exploits.org/v4l/. The information
compiled below on specific webcam models is from the same source, so you
may find more up-to-date information through the previous link."

Based on the 'devices' page, I bought a PCline PCL-100K - according to the page, it just works. However, ekiga can't see it on my box. I can't find any info on which chipset is used - the statement that it usually in the manual is fatuous - they usually come with a single page that says 'plug it in and run the Windows install disc'.

I had hoped that this was one problem easily solved, since I had found a model listed as OK.

Anne

This site lists a driver for lots of webcams, but not the one you listed.

http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html