Re: FC6 Nightly Yum Updates

A Yagi at gmail wrote:
Don Maxwell wrote:

> The /etc/cron.daily directory in FC6 does not have yum.cron as was in FC5.

I am still trying to figure out how to set up the nightly yum update as the way it was in FC5. I can write my own cronjob but there must be a better way to do this in FC6. With the default installation of yum-updatesd, it is not updating anything. So, perhaps, the thing to do is to edit /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf in such a way that it automatically install new updates?

To most closely emulate the behaviour of the old yum cron job you need to edit /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf so that it says

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = syslog

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

You could also change the run_interval to specify a specific time rather than have it check every hour (or whatever the default is).

man yum-updatesd.conf has all the details.

Having said all of this, as someone else pointed out it still doesn't work at the moment. There's an open bug which is being actively worked on so hopefully a fix will be released soon.

Simon.