Re: Total in ls -la

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:16 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> I'm curious when we do 'ls -la', what does 'total' mean? Is it the amount of
> directory, files, or else?
>
> ls -la
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x 2 fajar users 4096 2006-11-06 11:12 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 fajar users 4096 2006-11-06 11:12 ..

Looking at a reference to the man file for ls, that DID NOT come from
FC, I see the following information:

`-l'
`--format=long'
`--format=verbose'
        In addition to the name of each file, print the file type,
        permissions, number of hard links, owner name, group name, size,
        and timestamp (see section 10.1.6 Formatting file timestamps),
        normally the modification time.

        Normally the size is printed as a byte count without
        punctuation, but this can be overridden (see section 2.2 Block
        size). For example, `-h' prints an abbreviated, human-readable
        count, and `--block-size="'1"' prints a byte count with the
        thousands separator of the current locale.

        For each directory that is listed, preface the files with a line
        `total blocks', where blocks is the total disk allocation for
        all files in that directory. The block size currently defaults
        to 1024 bytes, but this can be overridden (see section 2.2 Block
        size). The blocks computed counts each hard link separately;
        this is arguably a deficiency.

<http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_chapter/coreutils_10.html>

I read messages from the public lists.