Re: mixing repositoies

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 08:54 -0700, Stuart wrote:
> "Edward Rudd" wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:29:35 -0700, Stuart wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me to (or give me) a good detailed
> > > technical explanation of the problems?  Has anything
> > > changed with fc6?
> >
> > I Personally use FC Extras, Dries(/dag), freshrpms, and jpackage without
> > any issues and have run those repositories since RH 7.3 without issues.
> >
> > For a better explanation of the issue read this FAQ entry
> > http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D1
>
> Yes, I read that.  But it, like everything else I found, it
> doesn't really say *why* these problems occur.  If package
> X-2.0 requires package Y-1.3, why does it matter if package
> Y-1.3 (or X-2.0) comes from Livna or Freshrpms?  I can see
> that sometimes someone might compile a package with some
> odd options, but wouldn't (shouldn't?) that be rather rare?
> I'm sure my understanding is missing something here which
> is why I wanted to read a more comprehensive description
> of this problem.
>
> I wonder if this is the wrong place to ask.  Maybe I should
> be asking on some fedora developer or packager list.

The problem is some reps have the same programs with the same name that
are incompatable. seems the the livna mplayer would not work with the
freshrpms mplayer at one time.Right now I haveing conflicts between
totem and totem-xine both which has other rpms that go along with the
programs.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>