[Apache] .htaccess ignored???

Hi,

I had httpd running in my FC5. I guess directory listing is enabled by
default (if no index.html, then I can see all the files inside). I
have directory /var/www/html/links where I am currently working on.  I
have tried the ".htaccess" file methods mentioned in web to prevent
directory listing but I can still see all the files when I go to this
URL (simulating no index file).

My .htaccess file contains
Options -Indexes (suggestion from one site)
IndexIgnore *   (suggestion from another site)

Can somebody guide me how to fix this? I guess it will just be small tweak.

Thanks