Re: Looking for an easy and powerful programming language

On 11/4/06, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear All

I am looking for an easy and powerful programming language to start
programming. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

What are you looking at developing?  That could influence what people
would recommend to you.  You may not need a "powerful" programming
language, just an easy one with lots of good libraries to make life
easy.

I've toyed with Perl a bit and it seems nice.  Python is suppose to be
pretty decent also.  But your needs might be better met by a browser
application so java, php, mysql or something similar my better suit
your needs.  Bash scripting is "powerful" in that it can leverage the
power of Linux command line tools quite easily.

Is portability an issue (i.e. run on Windows & Macs as well as Linux)?
Do you plan to write device drivers (I don't imagine if you are
looking at starting in programming, but one never assumes)?  Many of
the popular languages are powerful.  And where they lack power, they
can all upon a function written in another language.

For people to give you advice more suited to your needs, you need to
state your needs.

Happy coding,

Jacques B.