Re: Running own mail server

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 23:25:02 +0800, Edward Dekkers
<edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
> Hey there guys,
>
> for years I've run fetchmail to grab mail from my isp in multidrop
> mode.
>
> Now, my area is finally ADSL enabled. The ISP I'm going with gives
> out free static IP addresses. I've also bought a domain name which
> is currently parked.
>
> I'm pretty sure I can get the sendmail part sorted, but DNS has me
> confused. At the domain name site, I can put in two name server
> fields.
>
> Originally I thought I could just run DNS here on my Linux box. But
> apparently from what I understand of the reading I'm doing I'd need
> two servers to do this.
>
> Other readings I'm doing are telling me to use my ISP's DNS servers
> and have them set up the records for me.
>
> At this stage I do not know whether that will cost money or not.
>
> Some whispers around the traps tell me there's free DNS hosting
> services all over the net.
>
> All in all I'm very confused.
>
> Could someone tell me what step 1 would be to get this going?
>
> Thanks
> Ed.

1. Have your ISP create a reverse pointer to your domain
(mail.mydomain.com)

2. Use or domain's registry for DNS - you will have enough
headaches. Create an A record mapping mail.mydomain.com to your IP.

3. Consider Postfix rather than sendmail.

4. AFTER you have the reverse pointer, see which DHCP blacklists
(including mine) list your IP. Request removal - politely, please.

--
      Do NOT Send Email to <spam trap> Fedora@TQMcube,com
Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam at The Source: http://www.TQMcube.com